During the first day of June 2010 I set sail in 'Equinox' my 24ft 6' Cornish Crabber from Chichester Marina and headed West down the Solent on a once in a lifetime adventure. Three and a half months later I completed my challenge; having sailed solo around the entire UK; visiting the Scillies, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the Hebrides; going with huge trepidation over the top via Cape Wrath - the 'big right turn', before the next 'big right turn' heading south, at John o'Groats. This blog is my diary, written most evenings as I took stock of the day's progress; often with a huge lump of Cheddar cheese in hand and a pint of Speckled Hen to keep it company. Sometimes I was almost in tears; tiredness and frustration having taken its toll. Other nights exhuberant after breathtakingly beautiful passages along our stunning coastline with favourable following winds. It describes the ups and downs; the tears and laughter; the extraordinary kindness shown by complete strangers who offered a tired sailor in their midst refuge, solace, warmth and company; their generosity often humbling. My hormones were, I'm sure, in a mess making me perhaps rather vulnerble; as just six months earlier I'd endured the surgical removal of a cancerous prostate gland; laprascopically - a six hour procedure that left me physically weaker than before. You can read the background to the illness and the reasons for the challenge - to raise awareness of this terribe disease; that could have so easily have killed me elsewhere on this blog.

I am indebted to many; and recorded their names elsewhere; but as I reflect on the voyage many months later, I have not fully sung the praise of Cornish Crabbers, the builders of my sturdy little yacht and Roger Dongray the yacht's brilliant designer who drew upon a hull shape that had developed over hundreds of years by men who worked and fished at sea and whose very life depended on their vessel's seaworthiness. It's long keel, sail configuration and weight distribution in seemingly monsterous seas; quite incredible for a yacht so small. A Crabber 24 is not the swiftest yacht to be had for her size, for sure. But what she lacks in that respect she makes up for by her abilty to take heavy weather and harsh conditions in her stride. Built solidly without compromise, Equinox delivered me safely home after a voyage of well over 2500 miles in some of the most hostile and dangerously tidal waters you can find anywhere in Europe. In Wales, for example, the RNLI were phoned by an experienced commercial fisherman watching Equinox from his harbourside office; reporting to them, that a yacht was struggling in heavy seas and a F7 a mile outside the harbour entrance. By the time the lifeboat had been launched, I was tucked up in Aberystwyth marina; a little bruised and battered it has to be said, but safe and sound; I never even saw the lifeboat!

I've recently set up the blog so that readers can cover numerous diary entries in one go. To access earlier diary entries just click on the link 'Older Posts' at the foot of each page. Only a few clicks are needed to get to the entries at the beginning of the voyage and my preparation beforehand.

I hope you enjoy reading it; and if you do, or have done, please be kind enough to leave me a message. For which, in anticipation, I thank you.
The voyage also raised over £10,000 for the Prostate Cancer Charity - not my main goal but those who donated on my 'Just Giving ' page made a huge contribution too; as I was notified by email of each donation as it was made; each raising my spirits immeasurably. My main goal was to encourage 2500 men to get PSA tested - one for each mile sailed; and I beleive that goal was achieved too. And finally, I would also like to thank the growing number of men who have, both during and after the voyage ended, taken a PSA test, as a result of the publicty the voyage attracted; been diagnosed with the disease and taken the time and trouble to email me.

Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Scilly Isles - Lizard Point and Land's End behind me..... for now!

Yesterday was a hard one. I left St Mawes/ Falmouth at 7:15 under engine and sail to charge the batteries for the 68+NM sail to The Scillies. Initially a following 16-18k wind from the East in a moderate sea made for quite hard work at the helm; despite trying first one then two reefs, changes of course and combinations of foresails. Every combination had a negative effect on progress which threatened my chances of being safely moored in daylight. I have never sailed to the Scillies before – and they have a bit of a reputation for being somewhat tricky. I was already quite tired by 2pm when the wind almost died and I was at the point of re-routing to Newlyn under engine when the wind suddenly sprung up directly from the North. It visibly came across the sea and started building to 17+ Knots with gusts up to 24knots. By now the tide was pushing me North so my track from being West became SW which together with the following sea made for equally hard work at the helm – as it was more than the Self-Steering autohelm could cope with. With the wind came a sudden drop in temperature and while clinging on to the helm with my left hand, had to put on my wet weather gear with the other. Despite the strength of the wind my SOG (speed over ground) dropped to a mere 4 knots – pushing a foul tide. Eventually, aching all over; and after 13 hours at the helm, I pulled into St Mary’s Sound and then a turn to starboard into Port Cressa. A safe but quite crowded and windswept little anchorage. A bowl of soup was in order to drive out the chill, as indeed, was a beer and lump of cheese! I don’t recall my head hitting the pillow. A rather lumpy and rocky night followed, as the wind hung in and refused to die.
 I spent this morning, (Wednesday) after a hearty cooked breakfast, motoring around St Mary’s Sound. It’s still windy and chilly, as winds often are from the North; despite cloudless skies. After searching for a quieter less wind blown spot, I’ve ended up moored in New Grimsby Sound just off Hangman’s Island between Tresco and Bryher isalnds . Certainly calmer with, as a big plus, easy access out into the Celtic Sea before as I attempt the North side of Cornwall.

The sea is incredibly clear and the sand almost white! The New Inn in Tresco does a sterling Guinness and Salt Beef Pie and their beer is particularly good! Back for forty ZZZZZZ’s is in order! It's 2:30pm!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Simon,
    Great to hear of your fast progress. Glad you spent some time in St Mawes, that was my home whilst my mum & dad were away, so know it well. Gwen & T + Vachers and us are off to Goodwood races tomorrow, so we will drink a toast to absent friends.
    Good luck, and kind winds, from all the Coopper's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon,
    Great to read that you're off to a good start on your sailing and prostate awareness adventure. Also good to see that you passed through Salcombe without managing to get your mast stuck in any overhanging branches; those were the days! You'll be saddened to hear of Andy Ripley's passing away just yesterday after his long battle with prostate cancer. Keep up the famous D'Arcy kindred spirit and remember that it is always better to put one more reef into the main sail than you think you need. Best of luck for the rest of your journey! Best wishes from Dubai, Nick Stoop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, of course, a newcomer to this blog, but the author does not agree

    ReplyDelete