During the first day of June 2010 I set sail in 'Equinox' my 24ft 6' Cornish Crabber from Chichester Marina and headed West down the Solent on a once in a lifetime adventure. Three and a half months later I completed my challenge; having sailed solo around the entire UK; visiting the Scillies, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the Hebrides; going with huge trepidation over the top via Cape Wrath - the 'big right turn', before the next 'big right turn' heading south, at John o'Groats. This blog is my diary, written most evenings as I took stock of the day's progress; often with a huge lump of Cheddar cheese in hand and a pint of Speckled Hen to keep it company. Sometimes I was almost in tears; tiredness and frustration having taken its toll. Other nights exhuberant after breathtakingly beautiful passages along our stunning coastline with favourable following winds. It describes the ups and downs; the tears and laughter; the extraordinary kindness shown by complete strangers who offered a tired sailor in their midst refuge, solace, warmth and company; their generosity often humbling. My hormones were, I'm sure, in a mess making me perhaps rather vulnerble; as just six months earlier I'd endured the surgical removal of a cancerous prostate gland; laprascopically - a six hour procedure that left me physically weaker than before. You can read the background to the illness and the reasons for the challenge - to raise awareness of this terribe disease; that could have so easily have killed me elsewhere on this blog.

I am indebted to many; and recorded their names elsewhere; but as I reflect on the voyage many months later, I have not fully sung the praise of Cornish Crabbers, the builders of my sturdy little yacht and Roger Dongray the yacht's brilliant designer who drew upon a hull shape that had developed over hundreds of years by men who worked and fished at sea and whose very life depended on their vessel's seaworthiness. It's long keel, sail configuration and weight distribution in seemingly monsterous seas; quite incredible for a yacht so small. A Crabber 24 is not the swiftest yacht to be had for her size, for sure. But what she lacks in that respect she makes up for by her abilty to take heavy weather and harsh conditions in her stride. Built solidly without compromise, Equinox delivered me safely home after a voyage of well over 2500 miles in some of the most hostile and dangerously tidal waters you can find anywhere in Europe. In Wales, for example, the RNLI were phoned by an experienced commercial fisherman watching Equinox from his harbourside office; reporting to them, that a yacht was struggling in heavy seas and a F7 a mile outside the harbour entrance. By the time the lifeboat had been launched, I was tucked up in Aberystwyth marina; a little bruised and battered it has to be said, but safe and sound; I never even saw the lifeboat!

I've recently set up the blog so that readers can cover numerous diary entries in one go. To access earlier diary entries just click on the link 'Older Posts' at the foot of each page. Only a few clicks are needed to get to the entries at the beginning of the voyage and my preparation beforehand.

I hope you enjoy reading it; and if you do, or have done, please be kind enough to leave me a message. For which, in anticipation, I thank you.
The voyage also raised over £10,000 for the Prostate Cancer Charity - not my main goal but those who donated on my 'Just Giving ' page made a huge contribution too; as I was notified by email of each donation as it was made; each raising my spirits immeasurably. My main goal was to encourage 2500 men to get PSA tested - one for each mile sailed; and I beleive that goal was achieved too. And finally, I would also like to thank the growing number of men who have, both during and after the voyage ended, taken a PSA test, as a result of the publicty the voyage attracted; been diagnosed with the disease and taken the time and trouble to email me.

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Aber to Pwllheli – July 19th

Pronounced Pa-thel-ee, this World Heritage site, is where you find me, after a rather frustrating wait for the flood tide to deliver sufficient water into Aber harbour to make good my escape which, eventually it did at 11:40. Even so, a momentarily gravelly kiss in the narrow channel before turning hard to starboard at the end of the wooden jetty and then holding a recommended course of 310deg; alluded to my unbridled enthusiasm to get on the move again. The depth alarm continued to keep up its annoying warning, that less than a meter of water was under the keel. Stopping for a second or two each time Equinox lifted to the incoming swell – a residue of the previous day’s storms; then expecting each plunge to culminate in a gravelly thump; which, thankfully never happened. Eventually silenced and when well away from ‘The Trap’ and the nearby pier head perils, turned Equinox into the wind, quickly hoisted the mainsail, killed the engine and while still turning back on course, let fly the staysail and gib; sheeting them in quickly to do their duty. Done well, this looks impressive; and I knew some of the other crews were watching, as we had exchanged goodbyes on the way out! Joy of Joys, my demonstration of solo seamanship was executed to near perfection and Equinox with all three sails drum tight, first heeled then rocketed forward with the help of a following sea and 18 knots of wind, foam creaming down her lee side up the rails. Her tan sails and dark hull must have looked stunning in the sun, contrasted by dark storm clouds coming in from the SW over a grey green sea covered with white caps. Just time for a final wave and one last lingering look at the brightly multi-coloured sea front houses, ruins, monument and Funicular Railway before refocusing on the lengthy passage ahead. Had I made amends for my rather chaotic arrival days before? I doubt it; they bear grudges around here!   
   Cardigan and Tremadog Bays offer numerous options for the sailor; with Sarn Badrig (St Patrick’s Causeway) by far the largest and most intimidating obstacle, separating the two. In addition, there’s Sarn Cynfelyn, Sarn Wallog and The Patches together with Sarn-y-Bwch. All jut out, often miles, into the sea and remain hidden during most of the tidal range. As such, they’re a worthy adversary for a solo yachtsman, still a little shaken from his Aber experiences! With the wind predicted to be a SW’ly my chosen route was to go through the middle of ‘The Patches in the main channel then West of the second obstacle and then take the East Passage close to the shore; hopefully avoiding the Bemar Bank and so crossing the final and biggest hurdle - St Patrick’s Causeway. Shoals, banks and ridges add to the fun as did the weather forecast which correctly predicted heavy rain with accompanying visibility restrictions. Rain, if you have the right kit is an inconvenience not an obstacle. Wind is; and as I nervously threaded my way along the Main Channel of the Patches, just 5 miles NE of Aber, so it picked up. A reef was called for, to reduce weather helm; which no sooner executed became almost redundant, as the wind further increased and backed to a southerly – near gale! A second reef stabilised matters and some wonderful drizzly sailing enjoyed; other than for my blow-up tender to repeatedly surf into my transom with an unnerving bump, followed by a rubbery twang as the painter was snatched tight on the ricochet! Drizzle steadily turned to rain which increased still further to flatten the sea. Buckets of it streamed off the mainsail and much of it blew into the cabin as the hatch had to remain open to see the chart plotter’s screen and to fix a 30 minute plot on the chart under the Yeoman plotter’s plastic protective overlay – the cabin sole soon awash and slippery.
   With the wind now gusting F6, I opted to change my passage plan and go to the West of St Patrick’s Causeway; plotting a new course to The Causeway’s Cardinal Bouy with its accompanying bell. This more westerly route stopped to great extent the awful rolling you experience on a run; where the foresails are back-winded and largely useless. Boat speed increased to 7.1 knots and confirmed on the GPS. Progress indeed for a Crabber! As I rounded the Cardinal and set a course for the buoy marking the Gimblet Shoals, the rain increased further, were it possible! I’ve seen rain like this before in Malaysia but rarely here. The cabin sole floorboard started lifting on the inch of water in the cabin, any higher than that, the water flows through two drain holes into the bilge. A pump was in order and the cabin hand pump cranked 21 times before it whistled! With the two headsails furled, as we were on a dead run, we stormed past The Shoals, guarding the entrance to the harbour and with visibility down to a few hundred yards sought out Pwllhei. When found and with engine started, we turned into wind, dropped the Main and stowed it reasonably neatly, considering the awful conditions.
   I called Holyhead Marina and told them I had arrived. It was 18:30and I was 30 minutes later than my estimated arrival time, not too shabby after 38nm, I thought.
  Motoring against a strong current in a channel barely wide enough for two boats to pass one another, sought out the berth given that morning on the phone, after first fendering up the starboard side and making ready the mooring warps’. The Marina, on first inspection, is huge, brim full of boats of all sizes and in a very good state of repair. Finding it, I spun around to face the weather and prepared to dock. From nowhere a young man in his 20’s T shirt, shorts and bare feet appeared and took my lines; tying me on with well rehearsed expertise.
   ‘Come form far’, he asked, with a Scandinavian accent?
   'Yes quite', I said, puffing myself up with pride, ‘from Aberystwyth... and you’?
    We’re both from Norway; he said... we’re sailing around the world. Scilly Isles tonight, I think or, maybe just go straight to Madeira......depends on my girlfriend really, she’s the skipper; and she’s had enough of the rain and is working on the charts now!
    The loudest noise in the marina was my ego deflating.
    Sure enough they slipped their mooring around 10pm, a row of plastic water casks securely strapped to their guardrail, in a boat not a lot larger than Equinox, but very purposeful.
   A cheery wave and they were gone....Well I’ll be damned!
  
The rain continues unabated, the water flowing past equinox carrying detritus washed down from the hills by the much swollen River Erch. A small half feathered chicken momentary hangs up on the dinghy’s painter, before the current moves it on.
   I carry on the job of cleaning up and drying out. Equnox’s heater, full on, has turned the cabin into a warm but damp fug. Bacon, sausage and eggs with a Speckled Hen, or two, will come later, the reward for getting us back in good order.

No comments:

Post a Comment