During the first day of June 2010 I set sail in 'Equinox' my 24ft 6' Cornish Crabber from Chichester Marina and headed West down the Solent on a once in a lifetime adventure. Three and a half months later I completed my challenge; having sailed solo around the entire UK; visiting the Scillies, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the Hebrides; going with huge trepidation over the top via Cape Wrath - the 'big right turn', before the next 'big right turn' heading south, at John o'Groats. This blog is my diary, written most evenings as I took stock of the day's progress; often with a huge lump of Cheddar cheese in hand and a pint of Speckled Hen to keep it company. Sometimes I was almost in tears; tiredness and frustration having taken its toll. Other nights exhuberant after breathtakingly beautiful passages along our stunning coastline with favourable following winds. It describes the ups and downs; the tears and laughter; the extraordinary kindness shown by complete strangers who offered a tired sailor in their midst refuge, solace, warmth and company; their generosity often humbling. My hormones were, I'm sure, in a mess making me perhaps rather vulnerble; as just six months earlier I'd endured the surgical removal of a cancerous prostate gland; laprascopically - a six hour procedure that left me physically weaker than before. You can read the background to the illness and the reasons for the challenge - to raise awareness of this terribe disease; that could have so easily have killed me elsewhere on this blog.

I am indebted to many; and recorded their names elsewhere; but as I reflect on the voyage many months later, I have not fully sung the praise of Cornish Crabbers, the builders of my sturdy little yacht and Roger Dongray the yacht's brilliant designer who drew upon a hull shape that had developed over hundreds of years by men who worked and fished at sea and whose very life depended on their vessel's seaworthiness. It's long keel, sail configuration and weight distribution in seemingly monsterous seas; quite incredible for a yacht so small. A Crabber 24 is not the swiftest yacht to be had for her size, for sure. But what she lacks in that respect she makes up for by her abilty to take heavy weather and harsh conditions in her stride. Built solidly without compromise, Equinox delivered me safely home after a voyage of well over 2500 miles in some of the most hostile and dangerously tidal waters you can find anywhere in Europe. In Wales, for example, the RNLI were phoned by an experienced commercial fisherman watching Equinox from his harbourside office; reporting to them, that a yacht was struggling in heavy seas and a F7 a mile outside the harbour entrance. By the time the lifeboat had been launched, I was tucked up in Aberystwyth marina; a little bruised and battered it has to be said, but safe and sound; I never even saw the lifeboat!

I've recently set up the blog so that readers can cover numerous diary entries in one go. To access earlier diary entries just click on the link 'Older Posts' at the foot of each page. Only a few clicks are needed to get to the entries at the beginning of the voyage and my preparation beforehand.

I hope you enjoy reading it; and if you do, or have done, please be kind enough to leave me a message. For which, in anticipation, I thank you.
The voyage also raised over £10,000 for the Prostate Cancer Charity - not my main goal but those who donated on my 'Just Giving ' page made a huge contribution too; as I was notified by email of each donation as it was made; each raising my spirits immeasurably. My main goal was to encourage 2500 men to get PSA tested - one for each mile sailed; and I beleive that goal was achieved too. And finally, I would also like to thank the growing number of men who have, both during and after the voyage ended, taken a PSA test, as a result of the publicty the voyage attracted; been diagnosed with the disease and taken the time and trouble to email me.

Thursday 19 August 2010

Douglas to Whitehaven - 18th August.

Todat's our 31st Wedding Anniversary, spent apart sadly ...yet again! Last year I was under the knife for six and a half hours. Sorry Darling!
Georgina, my daughter called from London offering to buy, on my behalf, flowers and chocolates to take home to Gina. Thank you G.
   Much earlier at 6:15am after a troubled night, I cornflaked and prepared myself and Equinox for another 50+ mile NE slog up the Irish Sea to Whitehaven; my next port of call. An easy exit under the road bridge, from the Inner Harbour was delayed by a fastcat ferry leaving. Again the voice on the VHF was so weak I could barely hear it. I'd mentioned this fact to another couple moored nearby and they too had difficulties hearing too. It's odd that I can talk and hear Liverpool and Holyhead Coastguard with ease and total clarity from here; but not Douglas Harbour Control!
   A glorious sail, in the buff, along the island's east coast with stunning views of a heather clad hills was a joy, as were the first views of Scotland and Cumbria. It was nice to feel the sun on all the wobbly bits again. Although I did keep my Tilly hat on! With ten miles to go, the wind picked up to 18Knots and with it, the sea suddenly became ferocious. Under mainsail only and on a run, I was pooped twice, not seriously, but for the first time a bucket or two of water came over the sterrn, into the cockpit, washing my feet before draining - rather pleasant actually! Time to get dressed and prepare to lock into Whitehaven. Wonderfully clear simple and LOUD instructions were given and the Sea lock a real joy, as it is lined with wood floating pontoons, you moor against that rise and fall in the lock with you and your boat - so much better than the setup I'm familiar with at Chichester. The lock keeper lowered on a rope a bag with instructions in it together with a map of the marina he'd marked showing me the route to take to my allocated pontoon. Deep Joy! The lock opens to a hnge walled mariner with a gap in the corner that leads to a further harbour for fishing boats that also has a gap through its wall to an inner sheltered harbour for visitors and smaller working boats. Perfect! Two marina staff were there to take lines and made me feel very welcome, pointing out gates,shower block and laundry facilities; all just a few minutes walk away. That's how you do it Isle of Man!
   Showered in excellent and scrupulously clean facilities, 20 minutes later and feeling hungry I wandered into town to stretch my legs. Lots of places to eat and settled on a Chinese. The Orchid House is a real find. The best crispy duck and delicious home made hoisin sauce ever tasted, came with plenty of pancakess, then a delicious spicy chicken dish followed it. Full to the brim, and back on Equinox, I slept the sleep of the dead.
   Guess what, It's 11am on Thursday and I've just received a phone call from Douglas Harbour Control, they can't find a record of my payment!!!!   Eer, it was your suggestion that you send me an invoice to save me a walk in the rain up to the Outer Harbour office..... not mine! So they're now sending a bill!
   What a wretched episode all round!

No comments:

Post a Comment