During the first day of June 2010 I set sail in 'Equinox' my 24ft 6' Cornish Crabber from Chichester Marina and headed West down the Solent on a once in a lifetime adventure. Three and a half months later I completed my challenge; having sailed solo around the entire UK; visiting the Scillies, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the Hebrides; going with huge trepidation over the top via Cape Wrath - the 'big right turn', before the next 'big right turn' heading south, at John o'Groats. This blog is my diary, written most evenings as I took stock of the day's progress; often with a huge lump of Cheddar cheese in hand and a pint of Speckled Hen to keep it company. Sometimes I was almost in tears; tiredness and frustration having taken its toll. Other nights exhuberant after breathtakingly beautiful passages along our stunning coastline with favourable following winds. It describes the ups and downs; the tears and laughter; the extraordinary kindness shown by complete strangers who offered a tired sailor in their midst refuge, solace, warmth and company; their generosity often humbling. My hormones were, I'm sure, in a mess making me perhaps rather vulnerble; as just six months earlier I'd endured the surgical removal of a cancerous prostate gland; laprascopically - a six hour procedure that left me physically weaker than before. You can read the background to the illness and the reasons for the challenge - to raise awareness of this terribe disease; that could have so easily have killed me elsewhere on this blog.

I am indebted to many; and recorded their names elsewhere; but as I reflect on the voyage many months later, I have not fully sung the praise of Cornish Crabbers, the builders of my sturdy little yacht and Roger Dongray the yacht's brilliant designer who drew upon a hull shape that had developed over hundreds of years by men who worked and fished at sea and whose very life depended on their vessel's seaworthiness. It's long keel, sail configuration and weight distribution in seemingly monsterous seas; quite incredible for a yacht so small. A Crabber 24 is not the swiftest yacht to be had for her size, for sure. But what she lacks in that respect she makes up for by her abilty to take heavy weather and harsh conditions in her stride. Built solidly without compromise, Equinox delivered me safely home after a voyage of well over 2500 miles in some of the most hostile and dangerously tidal waters you can find anywhere in Europe. In Wales, for example, the RNLI were phoned by an experienced commercial fisherman watching Equinox from his harbourside office; reporting to them, that a yacht was struggling in heavy seas and a F7 a mile outside the harbour entrance. By the time the lifeboat had been launched, I was tucked up in Aberystwyth marina; a little bruised and battered it has to be said, but safe and sound; I never even saw the lifeboat!

I've recently set up the blog so that readers can cover numerous diary entries in one go. To access earlier diary entries just click on the link 'Older Posts' at the foot of each page. Only a few clicks are needed to get to the entries at the beginning of the voyage and my preparation beforehand.

I hope you enjoy reading it; and if you do, or have done, please be kind enough to leave me a message. For which, in anticipation, I thank you.
The voyage also raised over £10,000 for the Prostate Cancer Charity - not my main goal but those who donated on my 'Just Giving ' page made a huge contribution too; as I was notified by email of each donation as it was made; each raising my spirits immeasurably. My main goal was to encourage 2500 men to get PSA tested - one for each mile sailed; and I beleive that goal was achieved too. And finally, I would also like to thank the growing number of men who have, both during and after the voyage ended, taken a PSA test, as a result of the publicty the voyage attracted; been diagnosed with the disease and taken the time and trouble to email me.

Monday 2 August 2010

Reflections - lessons learned - One third of the way round - August 3rd

To put my mind at ease, I’ve repeatedly asked myself, whether I’ve put the boat in any precarious situations; either through poor planning, carelessness, stupidity or simply lacking appropriate sailing skills, needed for such an endeavour as this? I really don’t think I have! But, and it’s a big but, I’ve also been luckily insofar as there have been no equipment failures or serious breakages to cope with; which, could easily have happened during one of a number of un planned gybes ; when the helmsman’s attention waivered - dolphins and gannets have a particular fascination.
    Have I always sailed safely? Yes... with one or two silly oversights very early on. And as long as ‘safely’ is interpreted as having a heavy reliance on modern electronic charting technology, GPS, Navtex, Yeoman Plotter and supporting depth, wind, speed and graphic displays to constantly reassure me.
   Could I have navigated just as safely using traditional navigational techniques - without much of the electronic kit? No! I am neither nimble enough of mind, nor do I have the constitution to spend time below at the chart table, plotting bearings, factoring in tide, leeway and boat speed onto charts while hanging on to the chart table for grim life. If I go below, even for a minute or two, I start to feel a little queasy. Sailing, for me, is helming the boat as effectively and as safely as possible in any given set of circumstances– maximising the rate of progress while enjoying the coastline, if visible, along with the sea and bird life. In doing so, I exploit the GPS wizardry to provide the data needed to reappraise the unfolding passage plan and make real-time changes, as and when required. I’m sure Nelson would have offered his other arm for the same capacity, had he been alive today.
   Passage plans do have a habit of needing a tweak here and there as the day unfolds - changes in the predicted wind and wave action curtailing anticipated progress. I’m also a very reluctant engine starter too, during a passage; for a number of reasons, not least the intrusive noise it makes but I’ve developed a habit of motoring the last mile or two anyway, to recharge the two batteries; on which I rely so heavily; while tidying away sails and preparing the boat for mooring; talking to the marina and fendering up, etc, so try and only use the engine once at the beginning and once at the end of a day's sailing.
    There’s still quite a bit of pre-passage preparation to do. Tidal gates for both marinas and harbours, depth clearances, races, wind and weather factors to take a view on; to give both a departure time and anticipated arrival time – not least, the best route to take. Then, there are the secondary ports to plan an escape to - 'In the event of' - and a host of ’What If’s’ to satisfy – all are confidence building as you recheck your figures and then enter the waypoint data into your Chart Plotter, then again in the back-up GPS and finally in one of the two portable GPS’s. Finally, as I sail along, every 60 minutes, I plot my exact position on a paper chart using my Yeoman Plotter. As a matter or routine, I also file a passage plan with the Coastguard who want an ETA and who then expect a call from you to say you’ve arrived and, I take considerable pride in being as exact as I can.
    Have I scared myself? Oh Yes, and probably half a dozen times too! Why? I think it’s because I forget or, perhaps, have discovered, that I’m not as strong or as agile, as I used to be or, thought I would need to be to cope with some of the conditions experienced. Examples of where I have floundered a bit are; going forward, on a heaving deck, to release a sheet caught in a fairlead or round a block or, when putting in a long series of tacks in rough conditions, where I find myself succumbing to the sheer physical demands needed.
    Picture if you can typical tack in roughish conditions. Firstly, the tiller is jammed under one arm or in the small of the back, or even between your buttocks/legs to hold it where it needs to be. And as you’re running the risk of being catapulted around the cockpit, so your knees are both braced against the cockpit sides, while at the same time, first freeing up and then tightening the two backstays then freeing off and tightening the four sheets – jib nad staysail!; while making damn sure you keep your head well down, so you’re not knocked unconscious by the 100lb solid wood boom flaying about inches above your head! Then, for added entertainment, have the odd bucket of water thrown at you from time to time, while tap dancing on a bird’s nest of rope ends on the cockpit floor; with you always, it seems, standing on the one you bloody well need! Then factor in Equinox’s hull length of just 24ft 6’, which, even in moderate seas can have her bow thrown back by wind and wave, as you go through the tack;  and as she does not point as close to the wind as a Bermuda rigged yacht, she sometimes falls back onto the previous tack with the palaver of repeating the exercise again after building up enough speed to have a second attempt. And yes, it sometimes fails again for a third time; leaving you cursing out loud for carrying too much sail and cocking thing's up! Believe me, it can get tiring!
     My judgement, on occasions, has been questionable too. For example, it is so easy to get exhilarated at your magnificent progress when storming along in 20 knots of wind on a broad reach or run; especially, if you’ve the help of a favourable tide. Add the tide of, say 3 knots, with the boat speed of, say 6 knots together and subtract the combined speed over the ground of 9’ish knots from the true wind speed of 20 knots; gives you an apparent wind speed of just 11 knots. Equinox feels as though she’s coping easily. But turn into the wind to put a reef in, and all hell breaks loose! Too many times I’ve left it rather too late and regretted it! Then there was the Aberyswyth event, when I simply could not stand up without using both legs and arms to hold on - and only then, just about helm the boat. Put simply, I should not have been at sea on that day – poor passage planning by failing to interpret the weather forecast correctly and getting it from two sources to double check! Lesson learnt!
   I write this having spent the last three day at the beach and most of that thrashing about on a laser getting thoroughly cold and wet. What ridiculous behaviour for a chap of my age?
Footnote:
There's a newly arrived and rather scruffy cormorant on the headland, often found with his wings outstretched, drying himself in the sun, who eye's me as I sail past, rather knowingly. He's the only one on the rock among hundreds of common gulls who roost there.
Colin?  No surely not,,,,,,,,,,,,!

No comments:

Post a Comment